Patients are assessed and recommended for bariatric surgery as appropriate. The surgical procedure most commonly performed is Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, but some patients may require gastric sleeve or other less commonly used procedures. After completing the assessment process, patients recommended for surgery will have their surgery performed at either the Hotel Dieu Hospital site of KHSC in Kingston or at a designated bariatric surgical site in Toronto.
Before being considered for elective bariatric surgery, patients must undergo a comprehensive assessment and screening process that adheres to strict Ontario Bariatric Network criteria. Conducted by an interprofessional team, this process ensures that patients are well prepared and that gastric bypass surgery is the best option for them.
Criteria for referral
Candidates for the surgical program must meet the following criteria:
- Previous unsuccessful weight loss attempts
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- >35 + serious weight-related health problems
- Stable health conditions
- Diabetes, blood pressure, sleep apnea, other
- For women, no plans for pregnancy for 18 months following surgery
- Nicotine-free for at least 6 months prior to surgery
- Age <60 years
- Willingness to undergo required medical tests, exams and blood work before and after surgery
- Willingness to attend all appointments and group education classes