If you are a victim of sexual assault or domestic violence, go to your nearest Emergency department and ask to see the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence (SA/DV) nurse. The SA/DV team is available 24 hours-a-day, seven days-a-week.
Do you need our help?
Seek treatment from a SA/DV nurse if:
- You’re 14 or older and a sexual assault took place in the last 12 days;
- You’re 14 or older and a domestic/intimate partner assault/violence/abuse took place in the last 12 days or your injuries are still present/ongoing;
- You’re under 14 and you experienced sexual assault or sexual abuse at any time in the past (no time frame limitations)
How to find us
To access this care and support service, you can go to the Emergency Department at Kingston General Hospital site or the Urgent Care Centre at the Hotel Dieu Hospital site of Kingston Health Sciences Centre in Kingston, or you can go to the Lennox and Addington County General Hospital in Napanee and ask for the SA/DV nurse on-call.
Services are available to both adults (14 years of age and older) and children (under 14 years of age). Pediatric care for children under 14 years of age is only available at the Kingston General Hospital site.
Care is provided in a secure treatment room to protect the privacy of our clients by a team of specially trained staff who are available 24 hours/day, 7 days of the week.
Medical Care Options:
- Pregnancy testing and prophylaxis;
- Drug-Facilitated Sexual Assault (DFSA) screening
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing and prophylaxis;
- HIV testing and prophylaxis
- Tetanus and Hepatitis B prophylaxis and / or vaccines
- Documentation and Treatment of injuries;
- Forensic evidence collection (including Sexual Assault Evidence Kit and Photographs) - for police
- Follow-up clinic
Counselling Care Options:
- Acute Trauma Specialized Counselling
- Safety planning / risk assessment
- Referral to, and coordination with community services and resources
Outside of the 12 days timeline? We can assist with referrals to community partnered agencies and resources specialized in the care of survivors. Click here for community brochure.
Additional Resources Available: