Having celebrated Kingston General Hospital’s 175th birthday back in 2013 most people know that we’re an organization with a rich history. But another important milestone was recently commemorated at KGH that recognized our role in the foundation of our country.
Tuesday, June 14 marked the 175th anniversary of the first Parliament meeting of the...Read more
It's not every day a hospital in Canada turns 175 years old, so on September 25 Kingston General Hospital held a special event to mark our impressive anniversary. About 300 people gathered in Macdonald Memorial Park for guest speakers, a short video of historical photos, cake...Read more
The nurse's cap distinguished the trained nurse from her predecessors and marked her education and skill. According to historian Tina Bates, it represented "respectability, femininity, and service," with its military, religious, and academic overtones.
Receiving a nursing cap was a momentous occasion for most nurses, marking their transition from probationer...Read more
X-rays first made their appearance in Kingston on February 17, 1896, when the Weekly Whig reported that Captain John Bray Cochrane (1860-1946), Professor of Physics and Chemistry at the Royal Military College, had taken an x-ray image of the hand of Madame Emma Albani, a celebrated singer, as a demonstration....Read more
Dr. Walter T. Connell (1873-1964), a graduate of Queen's Medical College, was appointed to the position of Pathologist at KGH and Professor of Pathology and Bacteriology at Queen's University in 1895. He established the Department of Pathology and Bacteriology and made pathology an important component of medical education at Queen's....Read more
Before the late 19th century, only those who could not afford to be cared for in their homes sought charitable medical care in hospitals; but, as the practice of medicine underwent revolutionary changes in the 19th century, more and more people came to see hospitals as the best site for...Read more
The Kingston General Hospital established its training school for nurses in 1886 and the first class graduated in 1888. The nurses-in-training were originally given accommodation in the Watkins Wing, but the expansion of the program quickly necessitated new quarters. One floor of the Nickle Wing was reserved for nurses' quarters,...Read more
By the 1880's antiseptic practices had been adopted and the surgical field was expanding. As medical care became more specialized and complex, its practitioners began to realize the immense benefit that trained nurses had to play in improving patient care.
Kingston General Hospital's board supported hiring more and better qualified...Read more
Dr. Kenneth Neander Fenwick (1852 - 1896) was born and raised in Kingston. After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts from Queen's University in 1871, he earned his medical degree at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons at Kingston. In 1873, he became house surgeon at the Kingston Hospital,...Read more
Formally opened in October 1895, the Fenwick Operating Theatre cost $4,000 to build. Dr. Kenneth N. Fenwick, a Queen's Medical College professor and attending physician for the hospital had been requesting a new operating theatre for years and donated $2,500 of the cost. The theatre featured ten windows...Read more
- Page 1