Solving gridlock remains one of Kingston General Hospital's top priorities and work has been underway all summer behind the scenes to come up with some innovative and lasting solutions.
The journey began in earnest back in May when a group of 75 people from inside and outside our hospital came...Read more
The Kingston General Hospital established its training school for nurses in 1886 and the first class graduated in 1888. The nurses-in-training were originally given accommodation in the Watkins Wing, but the expansion of the program quickly necessitated new quarters. One floor of the Nickle Wing was reserved for nurses' quarters,...Read more
The cancer journey can be stressful and confusing. Now there is a new support in place at The Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario at Kingston General Hospital to help patients and their families find information that can help them better understand and cope with the steps ahead.
By the 1880's antiseptic practices had been adopted and the surgical field was expanding. As medical care became more specialized and complex, its practitioners began to realize the immense benefit that trained nurses had to play in improving patient care.
Kingston General Hospital's board supported hiring more and better qualified...Read more
Controlling the spread of infections is a constant challenge for hospitals. Here at Kingston General Hospital, we've made great progress to reduce them over the past year - and that means a safer environment for patients and staff.
Our total number of hospital-acquired infections dropped significantly, by about 15 per...Read more
Dr. Kenneth Neander Fenwick (1852 - 1896) was born and raised in Kingston. After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts from Queen's University in 1871, he earned his medical degree at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons at Kingston. In 1873, he became house surgeon at the Kingston Hospital,...Read more
Formally opened in October 1895, the Fenwick Operating Theatre cost $4,000 to build. Dr. Kenneth N. Fenwick, a Queen's Medical College professor and attending physician for the hospital had been requesting a new operating theatre for years and donated $2,500 of the cost. The theatre featured ten windows...Read more