Have you experienced an exceptional health care professional at Kingston Health Sciences Centre?
Nominations now open for 2021 Exceptional Healer Awards
If a health care professional at Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC) has provided you with excellent patient- and family-centred care, now is your chance to nominate that person for an Exceptional Healer Award.
KHSC invite patients, family members and staff to nominate doctors, nurses and allied health professionals (e.g., physiotherapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, dietitians) across our Hotel Dieu Hospital and Kingston General Hospital sites who are innovative in their approaches to patient care and who demonstrate an exceptional bedside manner that includes being approachable, empathetic, collaborative and respectful.
Who can nominate?
Patients and family members can nominate a KHSC health care professional who has provided care to them in the last two years. KHSC staff can nominate colleagues on a patient care team.
Who is eligible?
Physician nominees will have a current appointment at KHSC and will have been credentialed at KHSC for at least the past two years. Other health care professional nominees must be KHSC staff members.
What are the criteria?
The nominee creates an excellent patient care experience over and above the norm by exhibiting some or all of the following behaviours:
- Demonstrates compassion as a skillful clinician by displaying personal qualities such as approachability, flexibility and empathy.
- Uses novel or innovative methods in attempting to deliver compassionate care.
- Demonstrates a pattern of listening to and respecting patient and family perspectives and choices.
- Exhibits a value of integrating patients and families into the clinical care model to ensure they are equal, informed participants in their health care.
- Honours the uniqueness of patients and families by incorporating their knowledge, values, beliefs and cultural backgrounds into the planning and delivery of care.
What is required for the nomination?
The nominator must complete a brief nomination form that includes yes-no questions and a short explanation of the candidate’s special qualifications for the award based on the criteria listed above.
Nomination forms are available here. The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, December 31, 2021.
If you have questions about the award or nomination form, please contact the KHSC Leadership & Talent Development Department at 613-544-6666, extension 4382.