The KHSC Clinical Laboratories provide a wide range of highly sophisticated laboratory services and consult on a variety of diagnostic, medical, scientific and technical issues. This includes immunology and molecular microbiology testing for renal transplant patients, and molecular diagnostics on tissue biopsies to support precise and personalized medicine for cancer patients.
The Laboratory Users Handbook contains information on all laboratory tests and services that are offered through the different laboratories at KHSC. It is available to help health care teams prepare for their patients for tests as well as learn about specimen collection, specimen handling procedures and specimen collection containers.
The Laboratory Outreach program was originally created to organize the delivery of specimens and the pickup of completed reports from community hospitals and doctors’ offices. It grew into a comprehensive service providing technical, managerial and scientific/clinical expertise in laboratory medicine. High quality and personalized service is supported by a single entry point for specimen drop off and a toll-free telephone number for all inquiries from clinicians, institutions and researchers throughout southeastern Ontario. Performance is measured using client satisfaction surveys and regular frequent interactions with clients to identify and address their needs and concerns.
Licensing, accreditation and quality of service reporting
The KHSC Laboratory is a fully accredited, licensed, academic hospital laboratory. Our laboratory licence is issued by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and classifies us to perform multiple tests. For a detailed look at our licences, please click on the links below.
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Laboratory License 2022-2033 HDH site
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Laboratory Licence 2021-2022 KGH Site
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Laboratory License 2021-2022 HDH site
- Accreditation Canada Diagnostics Certificate of Accreditation - KGH Site
- Accreditation Canada Diagnostics Certificate of Accreditation - HDH Site
Requisition forms are used by physicians to order specific lab tests. Listed below are those requisitions that a physician can use to make a request for testing from the KHSC laboratory.
- Bayer FastTRK Requisition Form
- Formulaire de Requisition du Bayer FastTRK
- Cytogenetics Laboratory Requisition
- Flow Cytometry Requisition (Revised 2021.08.09)
- HDH Routine Core Laboratory Requisition
- HDH STAT Core Laboratory Requisition
- Histocompatibility Requisition (Revised 2021.08.17)
- KGH Routine Core Laboratory Requisition
- KGH STAT Core Laboratory Requisition
- Microbiology Requisition
- Molecular Genetics Hereditary Cancer Panel Requisition (Revised 2021.09)
- Molecular Genetics Requisition
- Molecular Genetics Cardiac Requisition
- Molecular Genetics Oncology Requisition (Revised 2021.06.22)
- Mutation Requisition Form
- Myeloprolific Neoplasms expanded testing letter (Effective 2019.07.02)
- Transfusion Medicine Rh Immune Globulin (RhIG) Request Form (Revised 2021.10.13)
Affiliated academic partners
Queen’s University Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine and the Kingston Health Sciences Centre Clinical Laboratory Services have been long-term partners in the provision of high quality laboratory services, research and education. Building upon a strong and well established relationship, these separate and unique departments of the two organizations have developed an integrated mission, vision and values.