We understand that COVID-19 may cause fear and anxiety for people in our community, but be assured that it is safe for you to come to the hospital for your appointments. We have many precautions in place in order to protect our patients and staff from COVID-19.
Watch this video or read the list below to learn what you can expect when you visit KHSC for a scheduled outpatient appointment:
Please arrive no more than 15 minutes before your appointment time unless otherwise indicated. This helps us maintain physical distancing by not having too many people in the waiting rooms or lobbies at once.
Before your appointment
- You may receive a pre-screening phone call which will include questions about recent exposure, travel and current symptoms. We ask that you answer honestly and to the best of your knowledge. If the answer suggests it is safer for you to not come into the clinic, we will schedule a virtual appointment for you if applicable or reschedule an in-person appointment for a future date.
- If you feel sick with a cold, flu, fever or other symptoms on the day of your clinic appointment, please call the clinic receptionist before you come to ask whether you should re-book your appointment.
- Due to family /visitor restrictions your caregiver may not be permitted to come with you to your appointment or enter the building. Porters are available to help patients who need help to get from the lobby to their appointment area. Please review our temporary visitor and family presence restrictions to determine if you are permitted to have someone accompany you to your appointment.
- If needed, please make a plan with your support person or driver as to how and where you will connect once your appointment is over.
- You may ask a family member to participate in your appointment by using personal cellphones.
When you arrive for your appointment
- Please enter at the designated patient entrance
- At KGH site, use the main entrance at 76 Stuart St.
- Patients of the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario, Renal and Kidney Program should enter through the Burr wing at 25 King St. W.
- At Hotel Dieu Hospital site, use the main entrance at 166 Brock St.
- You will be screened again each time you enter the hospital.
- Please arrive no more than 15 minutes before your appointment time unless otherwise indicated. This helps us maintain physical distancing by not having too many people in the waiting rooms or lobbies at once.
- You will be required to wear a mask. Please bring your own mask or face covering. If you don’t have your own mask to bring, one will be provided. Click here to read more about our universal masking policy.
- When you enter the hospital, you will be asked to sanitize (clean) your hands.
- Please practice physical distancing within the lobbies, waiting rooms and clinics by staying two metres (6 feet) apart from other people.
Keeping our environment safe
- You will notice signs throughout the clinic about safety procedures.
- There will be hand cleaning stations throughout the facilities.
- All staff are screened before every shift and are required to wear masks when in care areas.
- We have rearranged our waiting rooms and are limiting capacity in our elevators to help with physical distancing.
- Our cleaning team has increased the frequency of cleaning and sanitizing waiting areas, washrooms and other surfaces touched often.