Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC) is temporarily limiting family presence to protect the safety of all during the COVID-19 outbreak. To help patients, families and friends stay connected with each other we are happy to assist patients with a “video chat” or “Virtual Visit” with their loved ones.
A Virtual Visit is an alternative to visitors physically coming into the hospital. It is a free service and involves a KHSC facilitator helping to set up the visit using an iPad provided by KHSC. Virtual Visits can be initiated by the patient, anyone connected to the patient or a care provider within the hospital. Virtual Visits are not intended for clinical use; they are not designed to talk about health care plans or treatments. Family members who have questions about a patient's medical care are asked to contact the nursing unit to ask for a meeting with the care team.
Do I need to do anything before a Virtual Visit?
Virtual Visits are accessed through an easy-to-use app called Zoom, which allows a number of people to join a scheduled meeting/visit at once. Family and friends must have the following in place in order to connect with the patient:
- An email address
- A computer with a camera and microphone (either external or built in) OR a smartphone or tablet (with Zoom downloaded and installed)
- Permission from the patient for the Virtual Visit to occur.
How does the Virtual Visit work?
- Patients can make a request by speaking with staff who then forward the request to VirtualVisit@KingstonHSC.ca
- Family or friends can also request a Virtual Visit by clicking here. Please include the patient’s name and room number, names of people who will participate in the Virtual Visit with the patient, preferred time and date.
- The family/friend will be sent an email with the confirmed date and time, Zoom link and instructions on how to connect. We recommend that the link be tested beforehand; this will be outlined in the instructions sent.
- At the time of the visit a facilitator will bring an iPad to the patient and help the individual connect to the Virtual Visit. On their end, the family/friend will click on the link sent in the email.
- When the Virtual Visit is over, the facilitator will collect the iPad.
PLEASE NOTE: Each visit request, including date and time, must be booked separately using the Virtual Visit request form.