If you are scheduled for a same-day surgery (you'll be going home later that day), we can provide you with a locker for your clothing, however we do not suggest you put any valuables in the locker. If you have family with you at the hospital, we suggest that you leave your clothing and belongings with them. After you've registered at the main desk, you will then meet your nurse, who will ask you a few questions including:
- When did you last eat or drink?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Have you taken any medication today?
- Do you have dentures, glasses or a hearing aid?
- Do you have any piercings?
- Do you have someone with you today? Are they staying or leaving? What contact number can we use in case of an emergency?
Once this process is complete, you will begin preparing for surgery. If your family will be staying in the hospital while you are in surgery, they'll be shown to the waiting room. During your surgery at Kingston Health Sciences Centre's Kingston General Hospital site, they will be able to keep up to date by tracking your progress using our Smart Track system. At our Hotel Dieu Hospital site, administrative staff will keep your loved ones up to date on your progress.