To become a volunteer at the Kingston General Hospital site or Hotel Dieu Hospital site of Kingston Health Sciences Centre, you must first complete the application process. Through this process, if we determine that KHSC is a good match to your skills, interests and time availability, we will help you select a placement and will arrange training for you.
While we accept applications year-round, there are special circumstances and application deadlines for some students. Check the list below to see if you meet any of these restrictions before you start the application process. All others can proceed to Step 1.
Important Notes for high school students:
- The minimum age to volunteer at the Hotel Dieu Hospital and Kingston General Hospital sites of KHSC is 16 years old. If you are under the age of 16 and you are interested in volunteering in our community, we encourage you to visit the community volunteer database through KFL&A United Way to explore other options. You can also visit this Volunteer Canada link that helps youth connect with opportunities in their communities.
The Hotel Dieu Hospital and Kingston General Hospital sites of KHSC will not be offering the Elements of Health Care or the Youth Summer Volunteer Team for high school students in the summer of 2020, although we do encourage applications anytime from anyone 16 years+ who can make at least a six months' commitment following the completion of the application process.
Important Note for post-secondary school students:
- If you are a post-secondary student whose commitment is limited to the fall/winter school term or the spring/summer term, click here for application deadline details.
- Click here to hear from post-secondary students about their KHSC volunteer experience.
1) Application Form
ApPLICATION FORM for...
Adults, post-secondary students and high school students aged 16 years and older (are you a student? see limitations/deadlines mentioned above before you apply):
- Click here if you prefer to print a copy of our application form.
- Click here to contact Volunteer Services if you prefer to have an application form mailed to you.
2) Information Session/Interview
Once you have submitted your application form we will contact you to invite you to attend a Volunteer Information Session/Interview. At this time we can answer your questions and talk about your experience, interests, goals and availability.
- Post-secondary student applicants who are only in Kingston for the Fall/Winter term will be contacted in March and invited to attend a session in early April.
- Post-secondary student applicants who are only in Kingston for the Spring/Summer term will be invited to attend an Information Session in the week prior to winter term classes resuming, during Reading Week in February or remotely in late March through Google Hangouts.
References provide third-party input on an applicant’s character, background, work experience and work ethic. As part of the intake process, they help us determine the suitability of an applicant.
The reference information is confidential and needs to be submitted directly to Volunteer Services by the person completing the form. Alternatively, they can give it to the applicant in a signed, sealed envelope that can be submitted to us on their behalf.
Review the KHSC Reference Form here to help you determine who would be the best person to answer these questions about you. We ask that references not be family members.
You can direct your references to this site to access the form or email a copy to them.
4) Criminal Reference Check and the vulnerable sector search
Out of respect for the safety of our patients and their families, we ask that you complete a criminal reference check as well as a vulnerable sector search. These can be obtained through the police service that serves the municipality you live in. If you are asked to provide proof that we require a police records check with the vulnerable sector search as part of our selection process, click here to email the Volunteer Services Coordinator to request a personalized letter. If you have completed a CRC/VSS within three months of your application submission, you do not need to repeat the process.
The cost of a CRC/VSS is determined by your local police service. Kingston Health Sciences Centre can reimburse you for this expense after you complete three months of consistent service. To be reimbursed please keep your original receipt.
5) Health Screening
Following the interview, and prior to confirmation of a program and shift, you must submit the results of a negative two-step tuberculosis (TB) test and provide proof of immunization. At the Volunteer Information Session, you will be provided with a medical form that your primary health care provider can complete. Click here if you would like to review the form in advance.
We encourage you to investigate no-cost options for this expense. A request for reimbursement can be submitted after three months of consistent service. To be reimbursed please keep your original receipt.
Once you have completed the above steps, you will receive information about hospital orientation where you will learn about corporate and departmental policies and procedures, including information about safety and security, infection control, confidentiality and privacy.