Kingston Bariatric Centre of Excellence
We have many safety precautions in place to protect our patients and staff from COVID-19 including limits on family presence, screening at entry points, and use of masks or face coverings. If you have an upcoming appointment at this clinic, we ask you to review our safety measures prior to your upcoming visit in order to ensure you are prepared. Click here to learn more.
As of October 5, we have moved to Centenary 2. Direction below:
- Take main corridor past the Brock 1 Clinic continuing to the very end of hall.
- Turn left and follow the signs to the Centenary Wing (Diabetes Education & Management Centre) along the hallway to the Centenary elevator on your left.
- Take elevator to Level 2.
- Turn left off the elevator to reach the Registration Desk.
We are located at the Hotel Dieu Hospital site of Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC). The only bariatric assessment service between Ottawa and Toronto, the Kingston Bariatric Centre of Excellence serves patients who require assessment and treatment for obesity and morbid obesity, and translates into easier access to care closer to home.
Committed to patient and family-centered care, the Centre provides the following programs:
- Surgical care which is a high quality pre-surgical assessment and post-surgical follow-up services for adults requiring weight loss surgery
- Medical weight management program (non-surgical) for individuals who do not qualify for surgery, do not want to pursue surgery at this time or who do not have a significant history of past weight management attempts.
As a leader in academic health care, KHSC has the multi-disciplinary expertise required to care for people living with obesity plus key complementary programs associated with the co-morbidities of obesity including diabetes education, cardiac wellness and endocrinology. The synergy of these combined programs translates into quality care for patients and families.
Our team includes a medical director, program manager, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, registered dietitians, social workers, psychologists, clerical staff, internal medicine specialists / endocrinologist and surgeons (at designated surgical sites).
Individuals must be referred by their family doctor or a Nurse Practitioner (NP) through the Ontario Bariatric Network (OBN) Registry. To refer a patient through the OBN, family doctors and NPs are asked to complete an online referral form here.
NOTE: Health care providers cannot refer directly to the Kingston Bariatric Centre of Excellence and patients cannot refer themselves.