At Kingston General Hospital, the safety of patients, staff and visitors is our number one priority. Regardless of our role in the hospital, we all contribute to making a safe environment. Safety is everyone's responsibility.
As a parent or guardian, we recognize the important role you play as a member of your child’s health-care team. You can influence the safety and quality of care they receive by being knowledgeable about your child's treatment plans and asking for clarification when you don’t understand.
Here’s how you can help:
- Share your information with us
- Ask questions
- Learn more about your child’s condition
- Let us know if there’s a problem
Access to the unit
NICU is also a secured unit and all parents and visitors must use the phone to before entering the unit. The phone is mounted on the wall outside the main entrance to the NICU and it will ring into the unit. The NICU can be accessed through the main door only.
Entrance to the NICU may be denied at any time related to the care of the infants in the nursery. If your baby or another infant in the room with your baby is requiring specialized care you may be asked to wait in the family room, located across the hallway from the NICU, until it is a better time to visit your baby.
Behaviour in the Unit
When in NICU all families and visitors must follow some basic guidelines:
- Please respect all other NICU families and staff. We do not tolerate disrespectful behaviour towards other patients, the people who visit them or our staff. If you encounter a problem with another individual, speak with the charge nurse for immediate response. You can also ask to speak to the Program Director, Program Manager, KGH Nursing Coordinator, Chief Neonatologist, or KGH Patient Relations Office.
- Any kind of violence, aggression, racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia, verbal abuse, verbal or physical threats, theft or destruction of property, is not tolerated. We may ask individuals to leave the hospital and if necessary contact the police. To help ensure everyone's safety our security team is on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can identify them by their uniforms and photo ID badges.