We have many safety precautions in place to protect our patients and staff from COVID-19 including limits on family presence, screening at entry points, and use of masks or face coverings. If you have an upcoming appointment at this clinic, we ask you to review our safety measures prior to your upcoming visit in order to ensure you are prepared. Click here to learn more.
The Medical Genetics Program at Kingston Health Sciences Centre will work with you and your family if you currently have, or are at risk of developing a genetic disorder. Our services include a general assessment when you first arrive, which may be followed by a diagnosis of a genetic condition, along with help in managing the condition. We also offer counselling for you and your family.
Our team is made up of staff from many different professional backgrounds, including doctors, genetic counsellors, nurses, metabolic dietitians and metabolic social workers. Our main office is located on the fourth floor of the Armstrong wing at the Kingston General site.
We also offer appointments out of the Children’s Outpatient Clinic (COPC) and the Brock 1 Clinic areas at the Hotel Dieu site.
In addition to our general genetics services for children and adults, we provide a variety of sub-specialty outpatient clinics which you can read more about below:
Adult Genetics - We provide care to a wide variety of individuals who have concerns about genetic conditions. You may benefit from a genetic assessment if you are 18 years of age or older, have a known diagnosis of a genetic condition, or if you suspect you may have genetic condition. In addition, genetic counselling services are available if you have a family history of a genetic disease and you are concerned about your risk, or the risk of your child developing a disorder.
- Cancer Genetics - The Familial Oncology Program (FOP) offers genetic counselling and testing to you and your family if you are at risk of inherited forms of breast, ovarian, colorectal or other cancers. Click here to find out more about this service.
- Cardiac Genetics - We offer counselling and testing for you if you have or are at risk of developing a genetic conditions affecting the heart such as Familial cardiomyopathies and arrhythmias. Click here to find out more about this service.
- Metabolic Genetics - Inherited Metabolic Disorders are biochemical conditions which are genetic and can have serious adverse effects on your health. Often, treatment prevents the negative symptoms of the condition from developing, which means finding these conditions early is very important. You will be treated with a variety of medical and dietary therapies and you will be cared for by a health-care team including nurse, dietician, social worker, genetic counsellor and geneticist.
- Newborn Screening - All babies born in Ontario are screened for a panel of 28 disorders that can be treated if detected early in life. Click here to find out more about this service.
- Pediatric Genetics - Many childhood disorders are inherited or have a genetic cause. Our pediatric genetics clinic sees both inpatients and outpatients who are referred by a health-care professional that either knows or suspects genetic condition is in play. Click here to find out more about this service.
- Prenatal Genetics - The Prenatal Genetics Program offers comprehensive genetic counselling and support to pregnant women and their partners in addition to individuals contemplating pregnancy. Click here to find out more about this service.
If you think you may benefit from a referral to the Genetics Program at Kingston Health Sciences Centre, talk to your doctor about a referral. Referral forms can be found here.