Spiritual health is an essential part of patient and family-centered care that responds to the whole person—body, mind and spirit. Your spiritual health is made stronger by making meaning and purpose in your life, taking on life’s challenges and nurturing ways of living well. Finding ways to enrich your life in the midst of suffering, chronic illness and uncertain times fosters your spiritual well-being.
Spiritual Health support is available to people of all walks of life and spiritual perspectives. Spiritual Health support includes a focus on care of your spirit and provides companionship in the midst of life’s joys, changes and endings.
Our team consists of Spiritual Health Practitioners who are certified by the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care and are Registered Psychotherapists with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario.
To contact a Spiritual Health Practitioner:
- HDH site: Please call the Spiritual Health, Mission & Ethics office at 613-544-3310, ext. 2231.
- KGH site: Please call the Spiritual Health office at 613-548-3232, ext. 3122.
How we can help patients and families:
At any time, you and your loved ones can face uncertainties and experiences that affect your emotional and spiritual well-being. We can support you when you:
- are struggling with your own or a loved one's diagnosis
- are fearful or anxious about how your illness could affect your life or the lives of your loved ones
- want to clarify how your values and beliefs affect your health care choices
- are struggling with conversations and choices about health care treatment options
- want to draw strength from your beliefs and values through symbols, prayer, rituals and ceremonies
- experiencing challenges in your significant relationships
- want someone to listen to you in a supportive and non-judgmental way as you talk about your concerns
- want to explore suffering, existential questions, mortality
- desire companionship and support during your dying time.