It’s essential that we take the screening process seriously. The health and safety of everyone in our hospitals depends on keeping COVID-19 at bay. We all help make that happen by being appropriately screened before coming to work.
Staff Screening Questions:
Click here for current Staff Screening Questions and Guidance (updated Sept. 12, 2022).
COVID-19 information & guidance:
- Staff who require COVID-19 information about fitness to attend work/return-to-work protocols and COVID-19 testing/PCR self-tests, along with staff who are reporting a positive COVID-19 result, should contact Occupational Health, Safety & Wellness daily, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., 7 days a week. Call KGH ext. 4389 and follow the prompts.
- Staff who have had close unprotected contact with a COVID-19 positive individual should contact their manager Monday to Friday during regular business hours, and contact OHSW at KGH ext. 4389 on weekends and stats between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Staff can continue to reach the on-call Occupational Health Nurse on weekends and statutory holidays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. by calling KGH ext. 4389 and following the prompts.
Click here for return-to-work guidance/precautions for staff with COVID-19 contacts (household or community).
If you are unable to report to work, then follow the appropriate process (e.g., reporting to your manager or People Services Centre). If you need an Emergency Leave or Leave of Absence during off hours, the normal process of approval from the Operations Manager will be required.
Click here for a Quick Reference Guide for Staff & Physicians
This scenario-based guide can help you understand when you can report to work, required testing and other protocols.
Staff COVID-19 self-swabbing on weekends, statutory holidays
The Beechgrove Assessment Centre is currently closed on weekends and statutory holidays. If you or a household contact require a COVID-19 test kit on a weekend/stat, please pick up and drop off 12 to 3 pm at the Kidd Davies 1 main entrance at the KGH site. COVID-19 PCR testing is also available at select local pharmacies for those who qualify. Click here for the complete list of pharmacies.
You may be instructed to self-isolate at work. Review Work Isolation at KHSC (updated Sept. 6, 2022).
Staff screening entrances: Staff can enter and self-screen at these entrances 24/7:
- HDH site: Johnson 1, Sydenham 1 and Jeanne Mance 0 (shuttle entrance); after hours (5 p.m. to 6 a.m.) staff/physicians can also passively screen in at the JM 1 main entrance
- KGH site: Watkins 2, Connell 0, George St. (Burr 1), Armstrong 1; Douglas-Etherington link. NOTE: Staff/physicians working on site after hours can exit at the Kidd-Davies 1 main entrance 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. to collect food deliveries and then re-enter/passively screen in at the KD1 main entrance. No food delivery persons may enter KHSC; all hand-offs/payments must be completed outside.
- Staff working at offsite buildings or satellite services will be provided with a screening tool.
Staff must review screening questions posted at staff entrances. By entering the workplace you are attesting to answering “NO” to all screening questions.
If you answer “NO” to all questions, perform hand hygiene, don a mask and report to work.
If you answer “YES” to any of the three screening questions, then do not enter and contact OHSW. In the case of a failed screening you cannot enter the hospital unless the question you fail relates to you being on Work Isolation.
Where staff have been directed to be on Work Isolation by their manager or OHSW, or as per the screening signage, please ensure you follow the Work Isolation precautions. The Work Isolation document is available at staff entrances.
- The following groups must enter through the main entrances at both sites:
- staff who have forgotten/misplaced their KHSC-issued ID badge
- staff with approved workplace access accommodations
- new hires entering the hospital for the first time without a KHSC-issued ID badge
- vendors and outside vendors without a KHSC-issued ID.