Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC) strives to create a safe and secure environment for our patients, family members, visitors and staff. One of the ways we do this is through the use of video surveillance, including cameras on hospital property (Closed-Circuit Television or “CCTV”) and body-worn cameras, as permitted by section 38(2) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
Video surveillance will only be collected, used and disclosed in compliance with the hospital’s policies and the law (FIPPA). Patients, visitors and staff are made aware of the use of video surveillance via posted signage. Recordings are kept for approximately 30 days, unless we receive a report of potential criminal activity, a civil suit, or a violation of policy, in which case the footage may be kept for use in the investigation.
How do you use the information collected?
The information collected using video surveillance is intended to:
- prevent incidents such as disturbances, theft, assaults, and other criminal or disruptive activities by allowing continuous or intermittent surveillance by security officers of the facility or of an incident;
- monitor high-risk areas to prevent a criminal offense from happening or other activities that pose a threat to safety and security;
- prevent incidents that are high risk for violence from escalating;
- assist law enforcement agencies’ investigations, from which a law enforcement proceeding is likely to result, by providing recorded evidence of a potential criminal offence committed in a monitored area; and
- aid in workplace investigations and ensure adherence to the hospital’s workplace conduct policy, professional practice code of conduct and other related policies in order to protect the health and safety of patients, family members, staff, affiliates and visitors.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
If you have any questions about the use of video surveillance at KHSC or how the information is collected, used, or disclosed, please contact:
Security Control Centre
Kingston Health Sciences Centre
76 Stuart Street
Kingston, ON K7L 2V7
Phone: (613) 549-6666 or 1-800-567-5722 Ext. 4141