The Pre-surgical Screening team helps to prepare you for your surgery through a variety of methods, such as lab tests, x-rays, and a nursing assessment. We also provide information to you and your family so you know what to expect before and after your surgery.
Whenever possible, we will attempt to complete all of your preparations in one clinic visit. In some cases, this may be done through a telephone interview.
Medical History and Physical
- All patients require a current medical history and physical prior to their surgeries.
- Your surgeon will tell you whether they will complete the medical history and physical or whether you can have them completed by your family doctor.
- The surgeon or family doctor will forward your report to the Pre-surgical Screening team.
What to expect when you visit Pre-surgical Screening
- You will meet with a registered nurse to discuss your health and medication history. A family member is welcome to join you.
- You may see an anesthesiologist, a doctor trained to give safe and effective medications that numb areas of the body, block pain and put you in a sleep-like state.
- Any necessary blood work, ECG and x-rays will be completed during this time.
- You do not need to fast for this appointment.
What to remember on the day of your appointment
- Please bring all of your medications in their original containers. This includes prescription medications (such as inhalers, insulin, nitro spray and patches), any over-the-counter medications, eye drops, ointments, vitamins and herbal products. For your safety, it is very important that the nurse documents a complete, up-to-date medication list. Please note that if you don’t bring your medications, you may need to reschedule your pre-surgical screening appointment.
- Bring your health card.
- Allow at least 1-4 hours for your visit or in some cases, the whole day if you are attending an education class for heart or joint surgery. Since you will be here for several hours, please bring a nutritious snack and beverage. You can also purchase food at one of our retail food outlets.
- Allow yourself at least 20 minutes for parking and to check-in. The Chown Parking Garage is located on Brock Street across from our Hotel Dieu Hospital site's main entrance. You can pay for your parking using cash, debit or credit card, and find more parking options here.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment. Late arrivals may require rescheduling.
- Avoid using scented products or perfumes as Kingston Health Sciences Centre is a scent-sensitive environment.
- Spiritual Health services are available if needed, please speak with your nurse for more information.
What to expect when you are interviewed by phone
- A registered nurse will review your health history.
- Please have all of your medications readily available to review with the nurse.
- Most of your tests can be done through your family doctor as long as results are faxed to the Pre-surgical Screening team. The nurse can help to organize this with you.
- Some special tests may still require that you to come to the hospital before your surgery. The nurse will let you know if this is necessary.
Contact Information and Clinic Hours
The Pre-surgical Screening Clinic is located at the Kingston Health Sciences Centre, Hotel Dieu Hospital site on Brock 1.
Our main entrance is located at 166 Brock Street in Kingston.
Our hours are from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you require a change to your appointment, please call us directly.